Table of Contents
John WILSON (1829-) and Sophia MILLER
- Although the Wilson family is not directly related to me, they are intimately connected to the Blackwood family and my Auntie, Olive GLARE who married into this family. Thus I have included them here for completeness.
- John Wilson was born at Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland on the 12th of August 1829.
- On the 13th of January 1854 at Duns, Berwickshire, Scotland, John married Sophia MILLER, the daughter of Peter and Sarah MILLER (nee BROWN). Sophia was born on the 17th of August 1836 at Duns, Berwickshire, Scotland and was christened there on the 3rd of September 1836.
- The couple's first child Peter WILSON was born on the 23rd of October 1854 at Galashiels, Selkirkshire, Scotland.
- In 1855, John, Sophia and baby Peter left England aboard the ship “Frances Henty” arriving in Portland, Victoria, Australia on the 9th of February 1856.
- Unassisted Immigration to Victoria - Index of inward passenger lists for British, Foreign and New Zealand Ports 1852-1923:
- Family Name First Name Age Month Year Ship Port Fiche Page
Wilson John 27 Feb 1856 Frances Henty B 105 001
Wilson Peter 1 Feb 1856 Frances Henty B 105 001
Wilson Sophia 19 Feb 1856 Frances Henty B 105 001
- John Wilson may have gone to work for a man named Joseph Livingstone the owner of a property named “Narrawong”, inland from Portland, as John junior was born there on the 20th of July 1856 and Livingstone signed his birth certificate. The property apparently was near Branxholme, Victoria. “Later records show that John owned land at Myamyn, just off the Henty Highway. The Portland to Ararat railway line ran through his property at the Myamyn Railway Station.”
- source: Michael Ray Wilson and his grandmother's book.
William WILSON (1869-1953) and sons Russell, Harold, Allan and Leslie in 1926 with workers Jack Zantuck and Alex Mitchell.
Descendents of John WILSON and Sophia MILLER
Peter WILSON (1850-1927)
- m. Hannah BLACKWOOD (1867 in Daylesford -1903) on 30th March 1887 in Hotspur
- Hannah WILSON (1888-1974)
- m. Frederick FORSTER in 1926
- Elizabeth WILSON (1889-)
- m. John Bernard CLARKE
- Edith Sophia WILSON (1891-1965)
- lived in Edenhope most of her life
- Lillian May WILSON (1893-1962)
- m. Robert Ernest Oswald FINGER (1887-1948)
- Ernest Ross FINGER (1920-1965)
- Neville FINGER
- Peter Leslie WILSON (1895-1969 Malvern, Vic) served AIF 39th battalion in WWI m. Lorna Muriel STEHN in 1926
- Percy John WILSON (1897-1949)
- m. Isobel Mary CLARK (1911-1997) in 1931
- Clarence James WILSON (1899-1899)
- Olive Mary WILSON (1901-1959)
- m. Henry John STEVENS in 1929
- m. Elizabeth Alma MURRAY in 1905 at Chetwynd, Victoria
- Thomas Peter WILSON (1907-1951)
- Catherine Elizabeth WILSON (1911-1997)
- Marguerite WILSON (1913-1984)
- m. Laurence Edmond KEALY
- Patricia Maree Ann WILSON (1914-2004) b. Narracoorte, SA
- m. John Joseph 'Jack' LYNCH (1914-1994) in 1941
- Julia Alma WILSON twin (1915-1934)
- Rupert James WILSON twin (1915-1984)
- m. Edna TUCKER
- Allan Stanislaus WILSON (1916-1919) Brighton cemetery. Melb.
- Kevin Murray WILSON (1918-1972)
- m. Jean Margaret PHILLIPS in 1941 reg. # 3245
John (Jack) WILSON (1856-1920)
- m. Mary Jane BLACKWOOD (1860-1936) on 23rd April 1885
- Sophia WILSON (b.1885 Myamyn d.1918)
- m. Walter Edward HINCH (1880-1962) on 6/5/1908 at Ozenkadnook
- Isaac Francis HINCH (1909-1948)
- Edward John Thomas HINCH (1911-)
- Ralph Hans Wilson HINCH (1913-1977)
- Isaac WILSON, b. 1887 Condah d. 1957
- m. Annie Mary Ethel BAXTER (1900-1918) on 21/8/1918 and died 30 days later in Casterton.
- m. Emily PAHL (1903-2002)
- Hannah Mickleborough WILSON, b. 1889 Myamyn d. 1976
- m. James May PAHL (1889-1959)
- Arnold Alexander Stanley Wilson PAHL (1910-1951)
- Henry Colin PAHL (1920-1994)
- Jessie Elizabeth WILSON, b. 1892 Apsley d. 1977
- m. James Anderson FARISH (1886-1985 at Footscray) in 1913.
- John James WILSON, b. 1894 Apsley d. 1963 Cohuna [Pte ?, ? Unit, AIF]
- m. Irene Pearl ROBINSON (1909-1930) in 1929
- Leslie WILSON (1929-)
- m 1 with 4 children
- m. 2 with 2 children
- m. Kath MOLLOY
- Florence Catherine WILSON, b. 1896 Apsley d.1966
- m. James William Leslie MAJOR (1893 Goroke - 1944 at Heidelberg)
- Ernest Stanley Charles WILSON, b. 1898 Apsley d. 1940
- m. Margaret Louisa HICKS (1903 Ozenkadnook - 1985 Stawell) on 26/7/1921 at Dopewarra.
- Peter Gordon WILSON, b. 1900 Apsley d. 1953
- m. Elizabeth Mary WEST (1901-1994)
- Thomas WILSON, b. 1902 Apsley d. 1903
- Emily Catherine Mary WILSON, b. 1904 Apsley d. 1968
- m. David May PAHL
James WILSON (1858-1858)
Sophia WILSON (1860-1946)
- m. Robert Field (1855-1931) - see photo
- Sophia Rosina FIELD (1882-1958)
- m. Alexander BANNAM (1875-1960) in 1901
- Stanley Gordon BANNAM (1902-1992)
- m. Elizabeth Pearl (1910-1984)
- Ruby May BANNAM (1905-1976)
- m. Horace Roy OAKLEY IN 1924
- Amy BANNAM (1907-1976)
- m. William Samuel SPILLMAN (1902-1978) in 1925
- Elsie Rose BANNAM (1909-2004)
- m. Ernest Arthur SPILLMAN (1906-1989) in 1927
- Vera BANNAM (1915-1980)
- m. Lindsay MCGLASHAN
- Stella Eileen BANNAM (1917-1986)
- m. William Joseph FIELD (1911-2004)
- Jessie FIELD (1885-1943)
- m. Henry Johnston BANNAM (1883-1957) in 1903
- William Henry BANNAM (1903-1982)
- Leslie Robert BANNAM (1906-1964)
- m. Lillian Charlotte JENNINGS in 1928
- Florence Marguerite BANNAM (1909-)
- m. Phillip George COLLYER (1903-) in 1927
- Daisy Mabel BANNAM (1916-)
- Robert John FIELD (1889-1953)
- m. Rose Elizabeth MCDONALD (1889-1962)
- Robert James FIELD (1926-1972)
- stillborn male (1930)
- Albert Norman FIELD (1901-1973)
- m. Ivy May ASTBURY / BANNAM
- Donald Norman FIELD (1939-1943)
Sarah-Ann WILSON (1863-1930)
- m. John CAMERON (1855-1926) IN 1882
- Margaret CAMERON (1883-1969)
- m. John KING (1867-1942) in 1910
- Phyllis Cameron Nugent KING (1910-)
- m. William Russell KING (1903-1965) in 1941
- William John CAMERON (1884-1969)
- Charles CAMERON (1886-1922)
- Sophia Miller CAMERON (1888-1968)
- Albert CAMERON (1891-1963)
- Mary Jane CAMERON (1893-1975)
- Leila May CAMERON (1901-1901)
Agnes WILSON (1865-1949)
- m. Robert BLACKWOOD (1861-1954) on 25th Dec 1890 in Hotspur
- Ann BLACKWOOD (1888-1977)
- Jessie Irena BLACKWOOD (1891-1986)
- m. John Thomas WYLDMAN
- Irene May WYLDMAN (1921-)
- m. Moss M ARNOLD in 1946
- William John WYLDMAN (1922-)
- m. Edith HUNT in 1946
- Betty WYLDMAN (1924-)
- m. Jack BULLEN in 1944
- Robert Hotspur WYLDMAN (1926-)
- m. Margaret WALSH
- William Thomas BLACKWOOD (1894-1917 Belgium WWI)
- John (Jack) James BLACKWOOD (1895-1954)
- Albinea BLACKWOOD (1898-1987)
- m. Altonio CALSAFERRI in 1920
- Ida Agnes Pearl BLACKWOOD (1900-2006)
- m. Donald MCDONALD (1894-1957)
- June MCDONALD
- William (Bill) MCDONALD (-2019)
- m. Olive GLARE who is my auntie
- Gladys Victoria BLACKWOOD (1905-1951)
Charlie Brodie WILSON (1867-1952)
- ancestry.com says 1867/1868-1947, b. Portland, died Geelong buried Geelong Eastern Cemetery
- in 1909 lived in Drumborg, Heywood as a labourer
- in 1914, 1919, 1924, he lived in Patyah, Edenhope, Vic as a labourer, with his brother Peter Wilson, grazier, and Peter's wife Hannah and Peter's daughter, Edith Sophia Wilson also in Patyah
William WILSON (1869-1953)
- m. Adah Jane THOMSON (1876 Myamyn -1942 Portland) in 1893
- John Charles WILSON (1893-1967)
- m. Emily Catherine McKELLAR in 1925 reg. no. 5399
- William “Willie” Adam WILSON (1895-1960) served in WWII
- m. Ada
- Beryl Victoria WILSON (1897-1972)
- m. Gordon THOMSON in 1919 reg. no 1087
- Albert “Russell” WILSON (1900-1975)
- m. Lily Elizabeth BROADWOOD in Branxholme in 1928 reg. no. 11581B
- Adah WILSON
- m. William WILLSHER in Camperdown 6 children
- Dorothy Adah WILSON (1903-1982)
- m. Albert Edward “Bert” STUBBS in 1924 reg. no 13198
- Harold Vincent WILSON (1905-)
- m. Margaret Elsie CRAWFORD in 1942 reg. no. 4986
- 1 daughter
- Allan Lloyd WILSON (1908-1981)
- m. Alice
- 1 son
- Ella May WILSON (b. 1910)
- m. Jack DE MOULIPEDE
- Alma Eileen WILSON (b. 1912)
- m. Percy Roy THOMAS in 1937 in Mt Gambier
- Myrtle Irene WILSON (1914-1914)
- Edna Irene WILSON (b. 1915)
- Leslie Gordon WILSON (1918-1982) served in WWII
- ?m. Bertha Rawlings MILLS in 1930 reg. no. 6774
- ?m. Mary BARKER in 1938 reg. no. 5423
- Dulcie WILSON
Jessie Maude WILSON (1871-1940)
- m. Andrew MCFARLAND (1871-1954)
- James MCFARLAND (1908-1975)
- Andrew Kitchener MCFARLAND (1916-1978)
James WILSON (1874-1874)
Thomas Henry WILSON (1875-1875)
Albert WILSON (1879-1956)
the photo is of John and Mary Jane's children, the lady with the baby on her lap is Sophia Wilson, the baby is Emily Kathleen Mary Wilson, the boy sitting is Ernest Stanley Charles Wilson, the boy standing is Peter Gordon Wilson, the other three girls are Jessie Elizabeth Wilson, Hannah Mickleborough Wilson and Florence Catherine Wilson who is the smallest of the 3 standing. Their father, John WILSON is pictured at bottom of page.
Agnes WILSON wearing widow's weeds after her son's death in WWI
John C. WILSON 39th Battalion - he enlisted in 1916 with his cousin Peter Leslie WILSON in the same battalion.
John C. WILSON, wife Emily McKELLAR
Willie WILSON and wife Ada c.1928?
Beryl WILSON, husband and child.
Russell, John C and Willie WILSON
Russell WILSON and wife Lily 1928
Dorothy WILSON and husband, Bert STUBBS
Harold WILSON, wife Margaret CRAWFORD, best man Alan WILSON and bridesmaid Florence CRAWFORD
Alan WILSON, wife Alice, best man Roy THOMAS and bridesmaid Dulcie WILSON
Alma and Ella WILSON c.1917
Ella WILSON and husband Jack DE MOULIPEDE
The Liverpool - presumably when John C. WILSON disembarked on 19th Feb 1919 returning from WWI
John C WILSON and his baker's truck
Whycheproof's Broadway c.1920 taken by the Wilsons.
John C. Wilson (marked) checking out new cars at the Hamilton Show c.1928.
- Peter Wilson was born at Galashiels, Selkirkshire, Scotland on the 23rd of October 1854, the son of John and Sophia Wilson (nee Miller).
- Peter married Hannah BLACKWOOD, the daughter of James and Hannah BLACKWOOD (nee Mickleborough).
- Peter's 1st wife Hannah BLACKWOOD, after having 8 children, died on the 10th of October 1903, and was buried at the Ozenkadnook Cemetery with her infant son Clarence James WILSON.
- In 1905 at Chetwynd, Victoria, Peter WILSON married Elizabeth Alma MURRAY, his 2nd wife, and had children:
- Thomas Peter Wilson (1907-1951)
- Catherine Elizabeth Wilson (1911-)
- Marguerite Wilson (1913)
- Julia Alma Wilson ((1915-1934)
- Rupert James Wilson ((1915)
- Allan Stanislaus Wilson ((1916-1919)
- Kevin Murray Wilson (1918-1972)
- Peter WILSON died in 1927, at St Kilda, Victoria.
- John Wilson was born on the 20th of July 1856 at Narrawong Station, a property near Branxholme, Victoria, Australia the son of John and Sophia Wilson (nee Miller).
- He was the first Australian born Wilson of this family line.
- On the 23rd of April 1885 at the St. Thomas Church in Condah, Victoria, Australia he married Mary Jane Blackwood the daughter of James and Hannah Blackwood (nee Mickleborough).
- Mary Jane was born on the 21st of April 1860 at Crawford Station, Victoria, Australia.
- Their 10 children are listed in the above table.
- John Wilson died on the 1st of August 1920 at Ozenkadnook, Victoria aged 64, and was buried on the 3rd of August 1920 at the Goroke Cemetery.
- Obituary - West Wimmera Mail August 6th 1920:
- The death of Mr. John Wilson, an old and much respected resident of Ozenkadnook, took place on Sunday from heart trouble at the age of 64. He leaves a family of four sons and four daughters, for whom the deepest sympathy is felt. The funeral to the Goroke Cemetery on Tuesday was largely attended. The Rev Mr. Hill conducted the burial service.
- Mary Jane Wilson (nee Blackwood) died on the 1st of June 1936 at Ozenkadnook, Victoria aged 76, and was buried at the Goroke Cemetery on the 5th ofJune 1936.
John WILSON jnr (1856-1920)
Robert FIELD and his wife Sophia WILSON with the Blackwood's - John “Jack” BLACKWOOD and his mother, Agnes BLACKWOOD nee WILSON.
- Michael Ray Wilson, Jane RINGWOOD's GGGG grandson - his information of Peter Wilson and William Ringwood is still a work in progress as he continues his genealogy research.
- Memories & Beyond by Geoff and Jean Wilson (nee Sheppard).1997. Produced by Whistler Publishing Wallington ph: 0352552562
- a book written about the Ozenkadnook South School by it's former students most of whom are grandchildren to John and Mary Jane Wilson (nee Blackwood) - it was put together for the school reunion
- photos generously provided by family of John C Wilson
- Russell William Wilson corrected details of his grandfather, John James WILSON (1894-1963)
- Margaret Louisa HICKS (1903-1985) - wife of Ernest Stanley Charles WILSON.
- Mary Ann HICKS (nee MAJOR) (1876-1959) - mother of Margaret Louisa HICKS
- William WILSON who emigrated to Portland on 9th Dec 1856 - see here