Table of Contents
Descendants of John CRANE and Martha DEAR
- my ancestor, Thomas HUTCHESSON snr, married Mary CRANE (1810-1851) in 1838 at Elm, Cambridgeshire, England where Mary was born. Mary had 2 children to her first partner - Henry H CRANE and Sarah CRANE before marrying Thomas; Mary was buried in South Bank.
descendants John CRANE and Martha DEAR
- John CRANE snr
- m. Martha DEAR in Elm, Cam. on 18th Oct 1774
- John CRANE jnr I (1785-)
- m. Eleanor EBELING in Elm, cam. on 3rd Dec 1805
- John CRANE jnr II (1807-1807)
- John CRANE jnr III (1808-)
- Mary CRANE (1810-1851)
- 2 children to another father prior to marrying Thomas.
- Henry Hiblin CRANE (1835-)
- Henry's eldest child born Sth Aust. 1862
- Sarah CRANE (1836-)
- m. Thomas HUTCHESSON snr in 1838
- John James HUTCHESSON (1839-1918)
- Reuben HUTCHESSON (1842-1885)
- Thomas HUTCHESSON jnr (1845-1918) - my ancestor
- William CRANE (1811-)
- Edward CRANE (1814-)
- m. Catherine (c1823-)
- Eleanor CRANE (c1844-)
- m. cousin Reuben HUTCHESSON
- Sarah Ann CRANE (c1848-)
- m. Ambrose YEATES (c1844-) in 1864 in St Phillip & James Church, Noarlunga, then lived in McLaren Vale.
- Elizabeth CRANE (1863-)
- married in 1882 at the residence of Catherine Crane, Wickham Hill, South Australia
- Anastasia Louisa YEATES (1865-)
- m. Edwin ADAMS (1864-) in 1886, lived in Goodwood
- Lilian ADAMS (1887-)
- Violet ADAMS (1887-1887)
- Catherine YEATES (1867-)
- m. Ambrose CHAMBERLAIN (c1856-) in 1888 in Woodside
- Emily Esther YEATES (1868-)
- m. Walter KYLOH (c1856-) in 1890 in Gladstone
- Percy William KYLOH (1891-)
- Emily Jane KYLOH (1895-)
- m. Ronald George LEVERINGTONin 1912 in Jamestown
- Walter Hurtle KYLOH (1899-)
- m. Sarah Florence CLARK (c1888-) in 1921 in Adelaide
- Annie Caroline KYLOH (1901-)
- m. Alexander Vernon MCMILLAN (c1895-)in 1919 in Gladstone
- Alice Ivy May KYLOH (c1908-)
- m. Everard John PASCHE (c1902-) in 1925 in Port Pirie
- James Edward YEATES (1871-)
- m. Maria PARTINGTON (c1880-) in 1909 in Goodwood
- Mary Jane YEATES (1875-)
- Mary Ann CRANE (c1851-)
- Robert CRANE (1817-)
- Joseph CRANE (1820-)
- H. CRANE (1822-)
- there was a Hannah “Anna” Maria CRANE who married Robert or was it James LANGHAM and came to South Australia on the ship Mallard in 1855 - perhaps this should be James Langham - but the Hannah Maria would be born c 1835 not 1822
- BUT see http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/mallard1855.htm passenger list transcript which shows:
- James LANGHAM aged 20 of Wisbeach, Cambridge and Hannah Maria (Brands) aged 20
- Robert CRANE II (1823)
- Robert CRANE III (1829-)
Charles Samuel CRANE (1833-1914)
- although there is a temporal association with Charles arriving in Adelaide the day after Edward and his family arrived, it would seem unlikely they were related given that Charles lived 220 miles from the Edward Crane family in UK. Nevertheless, I will include them here in case something shows up.
- Charles Samuel CRANE aged 18yrs arrived alone in Adelaide on the ship Glouster from Somerset, UK on 3 Aug 18523), the day after Edward CRANE and his family (above) arrived in Adelaide on the Epamindondas from the UK.
- Charles was born on 26 May 1833 in Middlezoy, Bridgewater-Somerset, UK. He died on 13 Oct 1914 in “The Rocks”. He was buried in Angaston, South Australia, Australia.
- Charles stayed at Coromandel Valley where he first met his future wife Mary, then 15, whom he married on 5 May 1857 in Tarrawatta (near Angaston).
- Charles had a brother,William, who lived in the Mt.Pleasant/Birdwoodarea.
- William re-visited England and returned with their sister,Caroline. She was known to have a letter dated 12 Jan 1857 referring to Charles still being un-married.
- apparently Charles' brothers immigrated to Dover Township Racine county, Wisconsin.
- In 1853,at age 19,Charles took up Section 147, Hundred of Jutland, 126acres. This was 1 mile East of James Ackland. He lived under a treelimb with a ships canvas sail draped over it to provide protection. Hesoon built the homestead “CRANEFORD” about 50 metres away.
- Craneford was a private township named because of Charles Samuel Crane. The only private township in South Australia.4)
- Charles and Mary apparently had the following children:
- William John CRANE (1860-1949)
- born on 25 Sep 1860 in “Craneford” - Flaxman's Valley. He died on 31 Dec 1949 in Angaston, South Australia, Australia. He was buried in Angaston, South Australia, Australia.
- Arthur CRANE (1862-1932) born on 28 Jun 1862. He died on 30 Mar 1932.
- Mary Ann CRANE (1864-1928) born on 4 Sep 1864. She died on 7 Mar 1928.
- Susan Caroline CRANE (1865-) born on 30 Oct 1865.
- Rhoda CRANE (1868-1904)
- Oliver CRANE (1870-1931)
- Harriet CRANE (1872-1935)
- Samuel George CRANE (1874-1875)
- George Joseph CRANE (1875-1950)
- Charles Samuel CRANE (1878-1960)
- William John CRANE (1879-1879)
George CRANE (c1833-1903)
- George CRANE, agricultural labourer of Cambridgeshire, arrived in Sth Australia in 1853 on the ship Mary Green with his wife Emily 5)
- interestingly there were 3 “Hutchinson's” on that ship - a family from Cambridge - Thomas (aged 35), his wife Martha (aged 31) and their son, Walter (aged 4 yrs) - could these be related to Descendants of Thomas HUTCHESSON and Mary CRANE?
- apparently they adopted a daughter, Marianne Lister, daughter of William Lister of North Adelaide.8)
Henry Hiblin CRANE (1833-1915)
- Henry was born in Little shelford,Cambridge England to parents Robert CRANE (c1806-) and Mary DELLOW (c1806-) in England.9)
- Henry's siblings were:
- William CRANE (1829-)
- Robert CRANE (1831-)
- Charles CRANE (1835-)
- Thomas CRANE (1836-)
- Elizabeth CRANE (1839-)
- Henry came to Adelaide on the Utopia which left Liverpool and arrived 9 July 1858 He was listed as an Agricultural Labourer from Cambridgeshire and was aged 23.
- Henry married Esther CARTER (1840-) in 1861 in Mitcham, Sth Aust.
- It would seem highly likely that this family is related to the John CRANE/Martha DEAR family as they came from Cambridge, emigrated to Adelaide only a few years apart, and named a son John Reuben CRANE (1880-) and Eleanor CRANE had married her cousin Reuben HUTCHESSON in 1860 in Adelaide - seems too much of a coincidence!
other CRANE families from Cambridgeshire
Thomas CRANE (1670-)
- m. Mary Brown (<1672-) of Linton, Cambridge10)
- John CRANE (c1708-)
- m. Mary WEBB in 1732 in Linton
- Mary CRANE
- Jemima CRANE
- Ann CRANE
- Kezia CRANE
- John CRANE (c1741-)
- Karrenhapuch CRANE (c1745-)
Thomas CRANE (<1698-)
- also of Linton
- m. Sarah OKEY11)
- Henry CRANE (<1725-)
- m. Hannah BROWN in 1767 in Linton
- James Clark Stuart Brown b: BEF 24 AUG 1773 in c: 24 AUG 1773 in Linton, Cambridge, England
- Jemima Crane Brown b: BEF 24 AUG 1773 in c: 24 AUG 1773 in Linton, Cambridge, England
- Thomas Crane Brown b: ABT 1773 in c: 24 AUG 1773 in Linton, Cambridge, England
- Robert Crane b: BEF 24 JUN 1774 in Linton, Cambridge, England c: 24 JUN 1774 in Linton, Cambridge, England
- m. Elizabeth Baldwin b: ABT 1770
- Anne Crane b: BEF 17 APR 1799 in Linton, Cambridge, England c: 17 APR 1799 in Linton, Cambridge, England
- Thomas Crane b: ABT 1799 in Linton, Cambridge, England c: 26 FEB 1801 in Linton, Cambridge, England
- Kezia Crane b: BEF 16 AUG 1803 in Linton, Cambridge, England c: 16 AUG 1803 in Linton, Cambridge, England
- Sarah Crane b: BEF 20 OCT 1775 in c: 20 OCT 1775 in Linton, Cambridge, England
- Elizabeth Crane b: BEF 14 FEB 1777 in c: 14 FEB 1777 in Linton, Cambridge, England
- Kezia Crane b: BEF 26 DEC 1781 in Linton, Cambridge, England c: 26 DEC 1781 in Linton, Cambridge, England
- Mary Crane b: BEF 26 DEC 1781 in Linton, Cambridge, England c: 26 DEC 1781 in Linton, Cambridge, England
- Henry Crane b: BEF 30 DEC 1784 in Linton, Cambridge, England c: 30 DEC 1784 in Linton, Cambridge, England
John CRANE (1846-)
- m. Jane Elizabeth HARDING in 1866 in Burwell, Cambridgeshire12)
Edward CRANE (1836-)
genealogy/cranejohndearmartha.txt · Last modified: 2012/03/11 01:13 by gary1